Yet, Microsoft has under its hood assembled technologies that, if assembled intelligently, can deliver the next killer app! I have been loosing sleep over the next killer app till it all occurred to me. My confidence in Microsoft emanates from the fact that under all the inertia, Bill and his boys have assembled quite a bit of stuff.
- Devices: Microsoft understands variety of devices from servers, personal computers, Pocket computers, mobile phones, game stations, music players, clocks and what not! Microsoft knows how to make these things work, connect and share data.
- Search: Window’s Live is Microsoft’s biggest bet in web search business. It might not be successful as a business but it is good enough to demonstrate Microsoft’s technical capabilities. Further the tight integration of search with Vista and Microsoft’s inherent strengths at desktop search are well known.
- Security: I realize that I am treading soft ground but I trust Bill’s team to know and understand a lot about security. After all they created too numerous security holes than the entire programming world put together.
Beyond this, Microsoft also understands key skills operationally required for delivering the next revolution. Tons of cash, enviable marketing and sales engine, global reach are key enablers that can multiply Microsoft’s capability.
But the most important thing Microsoft understands…
That has to be “context”! Have you noticed a pop-up that irritates us when we start typing a letter in MS Word? Microsoft knows that you are typing a letter. Microsoft also knows who it is being addressed to and the location, email address of the person. This through a feature called “smart tags”.
Google on the other hand does not understand context. Nor can others.
Microsoft can deliver the next revolution. This revolution will be created through a two level approach:
- At one level will be a device connected to world through a spate of technologies including WLAN, 3G.
- At Second level there will be services that will through software, social networking site technologies and other sharing enabled technologies will create unparalleled utility.
In my next posts I will detail more on each of these. Meanwhile, I just hope people at Microsoft, particularly one who is in India currently, take notice and start working on getting us into the next technology revolution!